Kawartha Community Midwives provides primary care for pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum period for women anticipating normal, low risk pregnancies and births. We attend women at their labour and birth at home, hospital and at our clinic birthing room. Our services are funded by the Ministry of Health. We practice within the standards mandated by the College of Midwives of Ontario. We strive to provide care that is evidence based, non-authoritarian, supports informed choice and that recognizes the woman as the primary decision-maker.
Kawartha Community Midwives believes that:
- Pregnancy and childbirth are a profound time in a woman’s life, imbued with a variety of personal and cultural meanings, and are best approached in a non-authoritarian manner, providing choice of birthplace, continuity of care, informed choice and recognizing the woman as the primary decision maker.
- Midwives are experts in the provision of primary care for women anticipating normal, low risk pregnancy and birth.
- A commitment to health promotion for mothers and their infants is central to midwifery and we provide this by supporting breastfeeding while respecting parents' individual choices and goals.
- Effective midwifery care is based on the best available evidence combined with knowledge of a woman and her circumstances.
- Midwifery care is accessible and fully funded for women in Ontario.
- We value and embrace the principles of dignity and diversity in every facet of the work we undertake.
- All low-risk women have the right to safe access to out of hospital birth if that is their choice. We support this right by offering to provide care at home births and births at our clinic, as well as at the hospital. The choice to labour in water is offered in all three places. The choice to birth in water is offered at a home birth or clinic birth.
- Sustainability must be supported through low resource use by minimizing unnecessary interventions, offering community based primary health, supporting health promotion through local foods, food access and breastfeeding and engaging in environmentally-friendly clinic practices.
- We believe in keeping birth normal, in order to enhance the reproductive health of women, and the health of their newborn and their families